Shana Tova, my friend!
It’s Jewish New Year and the perfect time for a fresh start. This let’s-get-it-on-vibe is in the air in September anyway, right?
School starts, summer ends and you’re back to reality faster than you can say chicken masala.
Today I’m gonna make it quick and give you a simple but powerful sentence that transformed my business forever:
I’m not here to be loved by everybody.
What do I mean by that?
Believe it or not, there are folks out there who don’t like me. Shocking, I know.
But I’m happy and grateful for that.
If people love you or hate you, at least they care! They care enough to form an opinion about you. They know your face and your name. They talk about you!
That’s a fucking great WIN for you and your business.
I’m not gonna sing you the old song of “there’s no such thing as bad publicity” here. (Or maybe I am?)
Anyway, the bottom-line is:
Indifference is the real evil.
(Tweet this here! No, just kidding – I’m not even on Twitter. Yet.)
It’s obvious that raving fans are a blessing. But haters are as well! The only thing you need to worry about? Is when nobody gives a damn at all.
Never worry ’bout what the haters say. They’re a blessing in
So how did that mindset transform my business? And how can it transform yours?
In officially declaring that I’m not on this planet to be loved by everybody, I manage to stay entirely true to myself.
Here’s what this will do for your business:
- Naturally stand out from the masses. By staying true to who you are, you will automatically be different from everybody else. Memorable, too. If you’ve been trying real hard to create a “brand”, just let your personality do the job. Be glad that you have one, it’s one in a freaking bajillion.
- FUN! You’re gonna have so much fun when you’re not trying to be everybody’s darling. You don’t like everybody, so why would you want everybody to like you? If they don’t get your sarcasm, why waste precious jokes on them?
- Work with dream-clients only: Hanging out with a handful of TRUE friends – just like working with a handful of IDEAL CLIENTS – is the most fulfilling. And when you show up as the real, authentic you? Your right people will instantly be drawn to you. I’ll spare you the magnet to steel analogy.
- Freedom! If you finally let go of the utopia that everyone should love you, you will be RELIEVED! You’re gonna feel free and confident. Sometimes spreading your wings to fly means putting up your middle finger instead. (I’ll probably have unsubscribes for that sentence alone)
- You get to say whatever the eff you want! If you’re hanging with your right kind of people, you can trust that they get it. They won’t be offended or point fingers at you. They’ll appreciate your honesty and authenticity. You’ll inspire them.
Real life examples:
At first I was scared that everybody would think I just escaped from the mental hospital when they see the header-picture on my website. A gun? A raccoon hat? Really? But I liked this picture the best so I went with it.
Now I have people who I admire tell me that I’m the queen of website pictures.
At first I was scared that with all the pink on my site people would think I’m a “Barbie” and not take me seriously. But I love me some pink, pink is my color, so I went with it.
Now I have people who know me in person tell me how much they love my site, cause it’s “so me”.
At first I was scared that if I am the “real me”, people might think I’m inappropriate or offensive and wouldn’t wanna work with me. But I like to say what I think and I’m not gonna stop that. Ever.
Now I only have clients who I LOVE to work with and people who read my stuff thank me, because I give them the real deal.
What about you, my friend?
What is an area in your business or life where you’re holding back on your personality, afraid that people might not like you?
What is one thing you will do to change that?
Let me hear it in the comments! (Haters welcome)